September 6, 2015 ~ The liver is the major organ of detoxification, and also the most stressed by our modern lifestyle. One cannot live long without the heart, brain, kidneys, or pancreas, yet it is proper liver function, which prevents these organs from becoming diseased. Here, in addition to metabolic wastes, is where environmental contamination, food additives, and all other chemical pollutants are removed from the body. You should be just as much or more concerned about the condition of your liver as about the condition of your heart. If you have had hepatitis, cirrhosis of the liver, infectious mononucleosis, or other liver damage, you should become very protective of this vital organ. The intake of anything that places undue stress on the liver should be eliminated entirely. Such a list would include: chemicals of any kind; drugs; synthetic foods; artificial food additives, such as flavorings, colorings, preservatives, emulsifiers, stabilizers, sweeteners; alcoholic beverages; carbonated beverages; hair sprays; chemical deodorants; and reheated vegetable oils used in frying, commercial pastries, and most fast foods. (Unrefined oils, or butter for sautéing, can be used without creating peroxides and free radicals, which are toxic to the liver.)
Major functions of this incredibly complex organ include:
• Metabolizing essential fats (cholesterol, triglycerides, lipoproteins) and thus preventing their accumulation in the bloodstream where they often form deposits on blood vessel walls (atherosclerosis).
• Synthesizing the bulk of necessary blood proteins.
• Breaking down and eliminating most drugs and environmental poisons.
• Secreting a fluid (bile) which stores in the gall bladder or the enlarged bile duct and empties into the small intestine.
The bile acts as a carrier for all liver wastes. It is also essential for the proper digestion and assimilation of fats and all fat-soluble nutrients such as vitamins A, D, E, K, lecithin, and essential fatty acids. The gall bladder is a hollow muscular organ which stores and concentrates bile and is attached to the undersurface of the liver. When a meal is eaten, especially if it contains some fats or oils, the gall bladder is stimulated to contract and should freely expel its contents into the small intestine to emulsify fatty nutrients for proper absorption, and to allow poisonous wastes which the liver has removed from the body to be eliminated through the intestines.
Many people living in our society today, even those in their teens, fail to have free, unobstructed flow of bile from the liver and gall bladder in response to food entering the small intestine. Eating refined or processed foods, eating fresh food which is mineral deficient because it is grown on depleted or chemically treated soil, lack of regular vigorous exercise, stress, multiple distractions during meals, and many other unnatural aspects of our lifestyle have combined to alter the chemistry of bile so that formation of solid particles from bile components is a commonplace occurrence among Americans. These solid particles remain in the gall bladder or the base of the liver for many years and become progressively harder, sometimes calcifying into “gallstones.” Long before this occurs, however, metabolic problems are under way. When a significant number of solid bile particles accumulate, the free flow of the gallbladder is diminished, causing progressive stagnation and congestion of the liver. The body begins to suffer the effects of poor assimilation of fat-soluble nutrients, which may play a role in the development of eczema, psoriasis, dry skin, falling hair, tendonitis, night blindness, accumulation of calcium in tissues, and sometimes prostate enlargement in men. Hemorrhoids due to blockage of the portal vein draining the liver are often the result of this congestion.
The Liver-Gallbladder Flush
The importance of cleansing the debris from the liver and gall bladder, thus keeping the bile free flowing, cannot be overemphasized. This can be effectively accomplished by doing the Liver-Gall Bladder Flush (a form of which at one time was widely used at the world famous Lahey Clinic in Boston, MA), which is necessary even if one has had their gall bladder removed. The four basic active principles in this procedure are:
A. Apple juice (high in malic acid) or ortho-phosphoric acid, which acts as a solvent in the bile to weaken adhesions between solid globules.
B. Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), taken by mouth and enema, which allows magnesium to be absorbed into the bloodstream, relaxing smooth muscles. Large solid particles which otherwise might create spasms are able to pass through a relaxed bile duct.
C. Olive oil, unrefined, which stimulates the gall bladder and bile duct to contract powerfully, thus expelling solid particles kept in storage for years.
D. Coffee enemas, which consist of a coffee solution retained in the colon. They activate the liver to secrete its waste into the bile, enhancing bile flow and further relaxing the bile duct muscle.
The Liver-Gall Bladder Flush is one of the most important procedures for persons over 15 years of age. If one is above 15 years of age and his or her physician gives approval, he or she should do this the first week of Metabolic Medicine’s Cancer Victory Program™, and should, with his or her physician’s approval, repeat it every 2 months. The steps in doing this are not difficult and are as follows:
1. For 5 days prior to the “Flush,” consume as much apple juice or cider as the appetite permits, in addition to regular meals. You may add a total of 60 drops of Formula HRT (Phosfood Liquid or Super Phos 30) to the apple juice or cider each day. Nutritional supplements should also be taken during this time. The first preference for juice would be freshly juiced organic apples, and secondly, apple juice or cider (unsweetened and preferably organic if possible) purchased either from the health food or grocery store. A person should be sure to read the labels carefully and obtain a juice that has no additives whatsoever.
If one is a severe hypoglycemic, is diabetic, or has difficulty tolerating the juice or cider, he or she may take 20 drops of HRT (Phosfood Liquid or Super Phos 30) with each meal (60 drops daily) in RO filtered water or distilled water or some type of juice other than apple. Due to the high acidity, it is wise that one brush his teeth or rinse out his mouth with Milk of Magnesia or baking soda solution after taking the ortho-phosphoric acid.
2. At noon on the sixth day, one should eat a normal lunch and take the Metabolic Formulas scheduled for that time.
3. Two hours after lunch, 1 or 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) dissolved in 1 to 3 ounces of warm mineral water, RO filtered water or distilled water should be taken. The taste may be objectionable to some. If so, the mixture can be followed by a little citrus juice if desired (freshly squeezed if possible).
4. Four hours after lunch, one should take a 1-quart coffee enema with one-fourth (1/4) cup of Epsom salt dissolved in it. This should be retained for 15 minutes and expelled. The coffee should be made as strong as one can tolerate but no stronger than 6 tablespoons of ground coffee per quart of water.
5. Five hours after lunch take 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt, dissolved as the previous dose (Step 3).
6. Six or seven hours after lunch, one may fast if desired. However, it is preferable to have a fresh fruit salad, using as many fresh fruits in season as possible. Use heavy, unpasteurized whipping cream as a dressing on the salad, whipped with a little raw (unheated) honey if desired. One can eat as much as desired of the whipped-cream-covered salad. If fresh fruit is unavailable, frozen berries such as strawberries, blueberries, boysenberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc. can be used. These should also be covered with whipped cream and a large portion eaten. Take citrus fruit or juice after the cream and fruit meal, if desired. For hypoglycemics, the cream should balance the fruit. However, each hypoglycemic should adjust the amount of salad eaten to his individual tolerance.
7. At bedtime, there can be 1 of 3 choices (Note: Olive oil stimulates the gall bladder and bile duct to contract powerfully, thus expelling solid particles kept in storage for years. All juice should be freshly squeezed if possible):
A. Take one-half (1/2) cup of unrefined olive oil or 6 tablespoons of organic fla-seed oil followed by a small amount of orange, grapefruit, or lemon juice if the oil taste is objectionable.
B. Take one-half (1/2) cup of unrefined olive oil or 6 tablespoons of Formula F blended with one-half (1/2) cup of orange, grapefruit, or diluted lemon juice.
C. Take 4 tablespoons of unrefined olive oil or 4 tablespoons of Formula F followed by 1 tablespoon of citrus juice every 30 minutes until 6 ounces of oil have been consumed. This choice is preferable for those who are unusually weak or who have had gall bladder problems in the past. It has been found helpful to rinse the mouth with an alcohol base drink like Sherry to cut out the residue of the oil taste. If an alcohol base drink is unobtainable, try a natural carbonated drink, or club soda. (Do not swallow the alcohol drink or the carbonated drink.) (Note: If one should vomit during the consumption of the oil and juice, the procedure should be continued until it is finished. It is not necessary to make up for the amount that was vomited. Nausea felt during this process usually indicates stimulation of the gall bladder and/or liver.)
8. Immediately upon finishing the oil and juice (or while taking it), one should go to bed and lie on the right side with the right knee drawn up toward the chin for 30 minutes before going to sleep. This encourages the oil to drain from the stomach, helping contents of the gall bladder and/or liver to move into the small intestine.
9. If one feels quite ill during the night, another strong coffee enema with one-fourth (1/4) cup of Epsom salt dissolved in it may be taken.
10. If there is a strong feeling of nausea the following morning, one should try to remain in bed until it subsides somewhat. Vomiting should not be forced.
11. Upon arising, one must take another strong coffee enema with Epsom salt in it or, 1 hour before breakfast, take 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt dissolved in 1 to 3 ounces of warm mineral water, RO filtered water or distilled water.
12. If one continues to feel nauseous or very sore in the upper abdomen even after the enema, a light diet of sprouts, fruit (raw or steamed), yogurt or kefir, and freshly extracted vegetable juices (especially with beet greens in them) should be resumed. If one finds that the Metabolic Formulas cause discomfort immediately after the flush, they may be omitted for three days.
1. Taking one hydrochloric acid tablet at bedtime will help reduce any nausea during the night.
2. If you have a tendency to get nauseated from the oil, take 2 tablespoons of Aloe Vera juice after your doses of oil and citrus juice.
3. Placing a hot water bottle over the liver area (under the right ribcage) during the night also helps relieve nausea.
Note: One should not be frightened by the above references to nausea, vomiting, soreness of the abdomen, etc. Chances are that the symptoms won’t be severe enough to cause vomiting or soreness of the abdomen, as this happens only very rarely. Many people complete this procedure with minimal discomfort, and nearly everyone feels much better after completing it. Flushing the liver and gall bladder in the manner described (if the gall bladder is present) stimulates and cleans these organs as no other process does.
Oftentimes, persons suffering for years from gallstones, lack of appetite, biliousness, backaches, nausea, and a host of other complaints will find gallstone-type objects in the stool the day following the flush. These objects are light to dark green in color, very irregular in shape, gelatinous in texture, and of sizes varying from “grape seed” size to “cherry” size. If there seems to be a large number of these objects in the stool, the flush should be repeated in 2 weeks.
After The Liver-Gall Bladder Flush a fast may be started. The fast should last one or two days. We are now giving the body a rest and an opportunity to cleanse itself of much waste on the individual cell level. Each day of the fast one quart of fresh carrot juice and one pint of celery juice should be taken, along with all the RO filtered or distilled water desired. It is best to dilute the fresh juice with equal parts RO filtered or distilled water.
It is important to remember that unless sufficient fluids are taken the poisons become concentrated and are not eliminated in the natural way.
Cleansing The Small Intestine
If there were only one kind of pill that would help everybody, the cancer patient or otherwise, it would be “Okra-Pepsin-E3” made by Standard Process, Inc. It would probably do the nation’s health more good than any other one pill. It digests the mucus that coats the walls of many people’s small intestine. Certain foods, such as pasteurized milk and many cooked foods, cause the mucus buildup on the wall of the small intestine (raw foods do not cause this mucus buildup). The mucus coats the villi on the wall of the small intestine. The villi are like tiny fingers that stick out from the intestinal wall to absorb nutrients from the digested food, which is primarily liquid. The mucus on the villi blocks the absorption of nutrients from the food. Sometimes the mucus gets so thick and tough it is almost like a plastic film. Almost no nutrition can get through to the body. A person with a severe mucus buildup could take $1,000.00 worth of supplements a month along with a good diet and still get almost no nutritional value from them. He or she would be starving and therefore would want to eat more food including protein.
That would lead to more of the pancreatic enzymes being used to digest the protein even though it could not be properly absorbed. When all the pancreatic enzymes are used up, there are none left in the blood to destroy cancer cells.
The okra is a very sticky, gooey, vegetable material. It tends to stick the pepsin enzyme to the mucus on the intestinal wall long enough to digest some of the mucus. The E-3 is a powerful tissue repair factor. It was originally developed for the patient with stomach ulcers or colitis.
If the Okra-Pepsin-E3 capsules are taken for a few days to several weeks, one after each meal (reduce the amount of capsules if diarrhea occurs), the mucus will gradually be digested. The blood can then receive more nutrients from the food, even if it is from a poor diet. Then, once a year, take the Okra-Pepsin-E3 capsules again for a few days or a week to keep the mucus from building back up.
The mucus blockage varies with different people. Sometimes it blocks minerals and larger molecules only, while in other people it partially blocks all nutrients.
While taking the Okra-Pepsin-E3 capsules people who have heavily mucus-coated intestines might find mucus coming out with their stool, convoluted like the intestines. Dr. Kelley has had people who have been taking the capsules call him to say that they think they have just passed their intestines and what should they do? (He assures them it wasn’t their intestines; it was ropes — or tubes — of mucus!)
One 37-year-old patient called Dr. Kelley to report that the Okra-Pepsin-E3 capsules worked a miracle by relieving reoccurring pain that she had suffered with for years. (The pain would come and go apparently without cause and felt like bricks were pressing against her internal organs and lower back and at the same time her right side and leg would feel numb.) On the morning of the eighth day, after taking one Okra-Pepsin-E3 capsule with each meal for a week, she spent 45 minutes sweating, straining and pushing to have a bowel movement, and when it finally came out she could hardly believe what she saw — long, intertwined black ropes (or collapsed tubes) of mucus filled the toilet! She feels lighter now and hasn’t had the pain since that day. (After this bowel movement and the disappearance of her pain she realized that there must have been a connection to eating a large meal and the pain — food passing through the intestine would push the mucus-coated intestine onto nerves, which caused the pain and numbness.)
The Okra-Pepsin-E3 is indicated for both underweight and overweight people. In both cases nutrients are not being absorbed. Even if they are taking enzymes to digest the food they eat, they absorb only the smaller carbohydrate molecules while the larger protein molecules are blocked. In underweight people the carbohydrates are used efficiently (burned for energy, not turned into fat), but the person becomes thin as they lose muscle mass from lack of protein absorption. In overweight people the carbohydrates are not used efficiently (they are turned into fat), and this causes the person to become overweight as they also lose muscle mass.
Metamucil™ (Psyllium husks), one or two tablespoons daily, mixed with water or juice, may be taken to sweep the mucus out of the colon once it is broken down by the pepsin in the Okra-Pepsin-E3 capsules.
The above is an excerpt from Dr. Kelley’s book, Dr. Kelley’s VICTORY Over Cancer without Surgery, Chemotherapy or Radiation, which may be ordered thorough this website by clicking on the book title.